Perusing files

from Morris Krok

essence@xxxxxxxx

 By the end of April this year I will be 70 years of age, yet I feel I am
still sweet 17 all because of XyWrite. You are considered over the hill when
one passes his 50th year as your mind must be moth eaten and rusty by then.
Then with the aid of Carl and other XyWriters I gave myself a wonderful
birthday present in this special 2001 year. It is a little program that I
wrote, calchng.pm that enables one to obtain the first screen input of file
from a whole list of files by using the "C" keypress. Then with the "J"
keypress see the next file screen input. We can keep on pressing "J" to see
in sequence what all the files are about. There is also an option to press
another key "B" that will scroll backwards through the list of files, in
case you have missed something and want to retrace your steps.

 The idea for this program was conceived over a year ago because of the
hundreds of files I have written and collected since the 1980's without
always knowing what a file entailed from the filename.

 To achieve this a text file must be created and it can include every file
and program that you have written. The format of the file is simply this:

 Myfiles.txt (arbitary name)
D:\directry\filename.txt
d:\xywrite\program1.pm
d:\exprnc\year1.jrn
d:\logic\tip1.txt
c:\xyfind\sesame.opn
 etc. etc.

 You cannot edit when using the forward and backward mode. The "E" or end
keypress will close the program and retain the last file on the screen for
editing or to peruse it in its entirety. It will also erase the myfiles.txt

 The myfiles.txt file (contains the list of all your files) must be loaded
first, say in window one. Then before invoking calchng.pm, one can scroll
through the list of files or use the search command to go to a specific
directory or file and then load calchng. Pressing "C" must be first option
unless you want to read just that file. If this is the case use "R" which
will then call up that file and also close the program without aborting
myfiles.txt in the adjoining window. This gives one the option of continuing
with calchng.pm without the need to load myfiles.txt again. In a sense the
"R" mode combines both "C" and "E" with only that minor difference.

 The calchng program written for Xy4 is attached. For those who want a Xy3
version e-mail me direct.