Re: ot- buying a new name brand pc with xp

Leslie--

The problem with your old computer was that either Windows ME or the video card in the box couldn't
handle the bigger monitor. But the VGA that comes with your new computer will be compatible with any
monitor paired with it.

So I have to disagree with Patricia halfway. Get at least 1GB of memory, definitely, but don't worry
about a separate video card. The basic one may steal a little memory, but unless you're doing
something graphics-intensive--that architecture business you have on the side? your addiction to 3D
video games? editing movies?--you won't need one.

While buying a new computer can be bewildering, for word-processing purposes--and especially
Xywrite--just about everything is so immensely overpowered you can't go wrong. Look in
Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information--that's the XP path, might be different in
WIndows ME--to see the speed of your current processor and the amount of memory you have. You've
been running fine with those specs, right? Now compare those to the specs of any current desktop,
which will dwarf what you've got. Of course, Windows Vista immediately bloated itself to use up all
those resources, but XP is relatively lean and mean.

Dell wouldn't be the worst way to get a new computer, since you can get XP. The Dell website lets
you customize from the ground up, and then they build it. In each of the choices, except possibly
memory (1GB minimum, right?), you'd be fine with the minimum rather than the souped-up
possibilities.

The major telephone/online retailers, like CDW or PC Mall or PC Connection, might have cheaper
alternatives, or higher-grade ones at the same price.

I'm totally laptop nowadays, but whenever I wander into electronics stores, HP always seems to be
the most inexpensive brand that's not a no-name. One of my laptops is HP, and while it's not the
fastest kid on the block, it's sturdy and reliable.

I mean, look at this rock-bottom HP system with XP Pro: $389 not including monitor.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1460360

You'd want to upgrade the memory from 512MB to at least 1GB--about $25. The processor (I Googled it)
is 2.0 Ghz--vrooom compared to the 1.2 on the laptop I have at the moment, which is easily fast
enough for writing and above adequate for sound recording and editing. .

I don't know if you have wireless networking at home, or if you have an external adapter on the old
computer that you could move, but that would be another extra. And it's a little vague about whether
the DVD drive will burn CDs and DVDs but it probably does--you'd have to ask.

Just think about what functions you need before you start configuring:

Processor.
Monitor.
CD/DVD read and write.
Networking/Internet (wireless? wired?)
Sound: External speakers? (apparently not included--could be on monitor, or seized from old
computer)
Printer connection--if the old one is parallel, see if there's a parallel port on the new computer,
not just USB, or prepare to replace the printer, which can be done for under $100.

and whatever else I forgot....

Are you still in NYC? You could go down by City Hall and take a stroll around J&R Computer
World, which is neck-and-neck with B&H Photo (9th Avenue at 32d) for the city's lowest prices.

If possible, you should try the components that do vary and could drive you crazy: keyboard (which
can be replaced extremely cheaply anyway if you're unlucky) and monitor. If you like your current
keyboard you could probably keep it and plug it into the new box, though it won't save you any
money. You could also keep the Staples monitor, which would save you money.

Computer buying is one of those things that's nerve-wracking and guarantees buyer's remorse, but
with a modicum of common sense, whatever you get is going to be an improvement on what you've got.
And moving Xywrite shouldn't be a hassle with XP, particularly with the advice on this list.

Jon Pareles