Re: Backup

Bill Troop wrote:

> >HP has left the market to Seagate, which makes a 20GB Travan for about
> >$325. So I think that's what I'll get.
>
> For what it's worth, non credo in tape. I've heard more disaster stories
> from people who tried to restore from tape backups than any other kind.

We disagree here. I can't speak with confidence in regard to Windows (don't
like any of the backup s/w I've seen for that platform -- the big problem
comes when you need to access from your emergency procedures and do a Restore,
which really *needs* to be simple and bulletproof), but I've had total success
with DAT backups from the OS/2 side. I've used this when doing system
upgrades involving a change of hard drives, where the restore procedure
absolutely has to work or you're DONE. (I always try to have another,
redundant method available though, just in case. For example, a DRIVE IMAGE
..PQI file imaging the whole partition. There was a time when these would fit
on a CD -- before DI 4.0 added the direct-to-CD / CD-spanning features, which
hasn't worked on my particular hardware, anyway -- but these are now too
large, at least for the WIN partitions. However, they fit just fine on a
DAT.)

> Optical storage is much more reliable. CD, MO, DVD-RAM or DVD R (4 gigs a
> side; MO higher in some cases).

CDs lack the capacity to be convenient, DVD writers were very expensive the
last time I checked (and what s/w drives them to make backups ?). Don't know
enough about MO / optical drives, but I've heard they can be slow.

Jordan