Re: A quick question...?

Mimi wrote that she finds herself "unintentionally pressing the wrong
key(s) when in a footnote or endnote, and I lose the entire note." What
"wrong keys"? IIRC, ESC is the only key that will lose the entire note.
SEarching my KBD file, I find only ESC (1) itself and CAPS 1 with the
value ES. I also took a look at SHIFT+F1, which is the key (out of box,
of course; your keyboard may differ) for saving a footnote, and found
something rather odd. The functions invoked are Q1 (a "spelling dialogue
box function," according to CG), YD (cancel define, but don't close
screen), and XD (Cancel define). If one is creating a footnote and hits
the key (CTRL+F6 out of box) for List Windows, the footnote window is
listed there, complete with a number. But how to access it apart from the
command (not, note, a function) FN, I cannot see. This seems to be pretty
deep in the innermost recesses of the program. If it's the proximity of
F1 and ESC (I'm always hitting CAPS LOCK for TAB), I daresay you could
define another key to save the footnote, and use that. Or you could type
your footnotes in another file, then cut and paste them into the main
file. Actually, that could probably be automated; there are about three
XPL routines around (Carl & Robert's, Leslie's, and my own) for cutting
footnotes to a separate file (something publishers often want done), so
one would just have to reverse the process.
Patricia