RE: Mass removal of Archive bits

question: how do I unsubscribe?

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Holmgren [mailto:holmgren@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 5:19 PM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Mass removal of Archive bits

** Reply to message from "J. R. Fox"  on Thu, 04 Mar 2004
11:14:40 -0800

> NT Loader Can't Find or Boot it Anymore

Sounds like boot.ini is messed up. 99 times out of 100, if NTLDR can't find
the OS, it's because of boot.ini. boot.ini is a very simple text file, with a
widely published syntax. Usually a partition number is wrong. For example,
suppose Boot Manager got trashed (I believe you said that it did?). That would
kill (or unallocate) one (very small) partition prior to all other partitions.
NT would think that it's in the first (or second) partition, when actually it
becomes the second (or third, or fourth) partition as soon as you restore BM.
Result: can't find the operating system. This has happened to me many many
times, in the course of goofing around; but it's simple to fix.

Also, some imaging software won't restore correctly to the same drive or
partition. Depends what you're using. If you have DFSEE, it shows right away
what the actual partition numbers are.

> By the way, I have a URL for you about various bad things that rode
> in on SP-4, written by some techie type users.

I'd like to see that. Some good things also rode in on SP4, such as much
better control of cursor movement in DOS boxes. I upgraded all my W2K machines
to SP4 without a hitch. All are multi-OS; all have Boot Manager.

This is all waaaay off topic.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx