Hardware ID (was Completely Off-Topic)

Robert Holmgren wrote:
And it's OT.  Doesn't anybody have a luminous new *XyWrite* idea??
Nobody?
I would respectfully suggest that the Diagnostic
diskette thread is not entirely OT. One of our
continuing Xy puzzles is why some people report jerky
cursors when running Xy under XP, and some say they
don't have this problem at all. Now three possible
hypotheses to explain this come to mind:
1. differences in human perceptions;
2. differences in hardware;
3. differences in Windows configuration.
As the last would be the most difficult to track down, and the second the easiest, sound scientific method would suggest tackling #2 first. The problem is that so few people here know what hardware they're running on that we cannot accumulate sufficient data. Now any of the utilities we've mentioned in this context would do just that: give a complete report of all hardware components in the system. If some of those who report no jerky cursor issue would get one of these utilities, have it generate a report, and send me the results, I have offered to compile them and see if any pattern emerges. I would then ask if anyone who does experience the jerky cursor is using any of the more commonly found components. If no one is, that would be tentative evidence that hardware is the crux of the matter; if some are, we would have to conclude that either human perception or Windows configuration is responsible.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx