two off-topic goodies

I can't resist remarking two exotic Internet connectivity
programs that are conceptual knockouts and cost only a local
phone call. The first is Ray
Gwinn's VMODEM, VirtualModem. Essentially, VMODEM lets you use
your standard, familar DOS|Win3x|OS/2 communications package to
log onto any BBS (or other party) suitably wired **via the
Internet**. You have full access to all your old comm program
macros etc, and the Xfer protocol of your choice -- Zmodem,
Kermit, whatever, at 28.8Kbaud -- as if you had direct dialed
long distance. For example, you'd dial:

 ATDT bbs.os2bbs.com    Pete Norloff's OS/2 Shareware BBS in Virginia
 ATDT 204.194.180.10  (same address, if comm PM barfs on alpha chars)
 ATDT 204*194*180*10  (if comm PM barfs on periods; "*" is a phone key)
 ATDT xy4.dosdev.upw&onw.ttg.com.just.kidding!

VMODEM shames Telnet and the unspeakably lousy WWW (free samples
anyone? consult the 1911 Roget in slow-mo? Herb Schmertz
infomercials for Mobil?). No more waiting around for Archie to
cough up. No pathetic FTP servers. VMODEM is bundled with
Gwinn's superb shareware SIO comm drivers (v1.50 or higher,
current production is SIO153.ZIP).

Second program is "Version 1 Beta 1" of VoiceCall/2, VC2V1B1.ZIP.
 It enables real-time voice phone calls over the Internet. The
idea is about a year old in
Europe. My brother says you can make conference calls. Neat.

=======
Robert J. Holmgren holmgren@xxxxxxxx <<<< Note NEW
address
=======