Re: Much easier way to do file comparison

Robert wrote,
*All* files get out of sync if there are massive differences and the FindMatch
algorithm can't find any matches anymore (it gets confused -- happens very
often -- surely you know that, and have experienced that).

Yes, I do and have.
> Your program is the solution for one-iteration comparisons.
Actually, I agree with Carl: FINDDIFF is better -- better than a two-iteration
implementation, and more useful than this.

Yep, it sure is.
You can make the pertinent Redlining modes be
any colors you want (e.g. red and green) with simple entries in the DFL file.
If you want, I'll implement that -- that would approach the efficiency of
FINDDIFF.

No, I'm sold on FINDDIFF.
> I hope it didn't take you too long to write it.

Very little.

Amazing.
 What takes time is the commenting, with clarity. How much do you
have to explain, what level do you pitch the explanation at? Finding that
balance takes forever.
Ain't that the truth. And you know the story of the man whose letter said,
"I wanted to write a short letter, but I didn't have the time."
U2 has so many facilities that make writing/checking/simplifying code
easy.

I'll drink to that!

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx