Re: New York Times is at it Again

> >From t-r@xxxxxxxx Sat Mar 13 06:07:36 1999

> Did any of you happen to see the March 11 1999 article in the
> Circuits section of the NYT titled Shakespeare Never Lost a
> Manuscript to a Computer Crash, by Theodore Roszak.

I did, a few minutes before I read -- still brooding -- the
remarks by t-r.

Newspaper writers & editors spend too damn much ink giving 'the
other side' -- even if there isn't any other side.

Roszak brought to mind James Thurber's story (in _The Years With
Ross_) about Thorne Smith's time at the New Yorker:

' . . . It didn't work out. "He can't use a typewriter, or if he
can, he won't," Ross told me, and then, with dramatic voice and
gestures, "He sits out there writing on foolscap with a quill pen."

' "By candlelight?" I asked.

' "You have me there," said Ross. '

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle