getting ZIP files (was: Re: VPT)

Catlyn:

>Netscape informs me that I need Netzip 6.0
>to enable the download.

I haven't used all (or even most) versions of Netscape, but I'm pretty sure
that if you read the screen more carefully you'll see a message to the
effect of:

  "This seems to be a Zip program. By myself, I
  can't handle this. Netzip can. You don't have
  Netzip. Do you want Netzip? Or do you just
  want to save the file to disk as it is?"

Save the file as it is. I've never heard of Netzip, but it's unlikely that
any ZIP-file-handling plug-in will be of any help to you.

  Indeed, it may be a curse. Within my first 24 hours
  of using Da Net, I had innocently and ignorantly
  installed something called Quickviews Plus (or
  similar) as a plug-in to handle ZIP files (and much
  else); I then found it almost impossible to save ZIP
  files to disk in the conventional way. (I also
  couldn't "unplug" the dratted thing, and wound up
  reinstalling Netscape from scratch, i.e. from
  diskettes.)

Do you have a program that handles ZIP files? (If you don't know whether
you do, don't worry: look for the saved ZIP file in your file manager and
double-click it and see what happens. If you get an error message, you
don't have an unZIPping program.) The best-known by far of the Win9x
ZIP/unZIPping programs is WinZip, but this seems unnecessarily bulky and
expensive. If you already have a file manager that you like, I recommend
PowerZip (which may cost you nothing); if you don't (or are under the
delusion that Explorer is the best there is), I recommend Windows
Commander, which isn't free but comes complete with ZIPping and unZIPping
ability.

PowerZip: http://www.powerzip.lco.net/
Windows Commander: http://www.ghisler.com/

Peter Evans