Re: Printing XyWrite

At 12:49 PM 9/24/2006, you wrote:
Friends,

Have I been misinng something in this discussion of printing to a USB
printer? Mr. Holmgren's TYP, utilizing POSTGHST.PRN, or a
printer-specific driver, works flawlessly, and is fully documented in
the XYWWWEB materials, with many posts in XYSEARCH as well.

Fred Weiner

Fred:

I don't think you're missing anything, unless you thought I was claiming
that someone should use the procedure I outlined. I concluded my
posting on September 21 by saying:

"Comments by others indicated that this is not the only, and perhaps not the
best, way to print XyWrite. But it does work."

Robert Holmgren, replying to an earlier posting about a month and a half
ago, commented:

"Also, FYI, there *are* ways to get a Postscript printer like the HP LJ1300 to
work with a USB cable under XyWrite, but I imagine that a parallel cable is
simpler, since you have that option."

All I was saying was that the procedure had worked for me, and it might work
for others who were having difficulties with HP Laserjets.

                                                          John

On 9/24/06, John H. Kessel wrote:
At 12:39 PM 9/23/2006, you wrote:
>Brian.Henderson@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>>I'm on my fourth USB printer now and I've had nothing but trouble with
>>all of them
>>(although I've never had problems with any other type of USB gadget).
>>I don't know what it is about them but they regularly loose the ability
>>to communicate
>>with the computer, and have to be "rebooted'. They always re-connect,
>>but it's annoying.
>Really? That's surprising. I have an Epson here, and have used three HP
>deskjets at various times on various PCs at the office: all USB, no
>connection problems

My experience was that the HP Laserjet printed XyWrite fine as long as I
was using a WIn98 machine, but as soon as I switched to XP Pro I
experienced numerous problems.
                                                                                         John

>--well, one has an occasional problem, but that's definitely in the
>WordPerfect setup; nothing to do with USB as such. Have you tried?
>1. Changing USB ports
>2. Changing USB cables
>3. Checking the USB and printer properties in Control Panel
>
>Now Multifunctions, as opposed to printers pure and simple, are another
>story. I had a Brother MFC, and it drove me bonkers. Used to corrupt its
>drivers, and one had to uninstall the whole megillah (which involved
>editing the Windows Registry, since uninstall left hundreds of Registry
>entries), then reinstall. Did it three times, then said, "This is
>idiotic"; kept it as a standalone fax & copier and got myself a real printer.
>

>--
>Patricia M. Godfrey
>PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx

John H. Kessel