RE: Printing XyWrite

-----Original Message----- From: Patricia M. Godfrey

>> I'm on my fourth USB printer now and I've had nothing but trouble with all of them
>> (although I've never had problems with any other type of USB gadget).
>> I don't know what it is about them but they regularly loose the ability to communicate
>> with the computer, and have to be "rebooted'. They always re-connect,
>> but it's annoying.

> Really? That's surprising. I have an Epson here, and
> have used three HP deskjets at various times on various
> PCs at the office: all USB, no connection
> problems--well, one has an occasional problem, but
> that's definitely in the WordPerfect setup; nothing to
> do with USB as such. Have you tried?
> 1. Changing USB ports
> 2. Changing USB cables
> 3. Checking the USB and printer properties in Control Panel

Patricia, my USB printer problems have occurred on two different machines (Win2K only), one of which
got a new motherboard and
graphics, and an upgrade to USB 2.0 (I guess you could call that three "different"
machines). I have to say that my wife's machine
has had the fewest problems but still looses contact now and then.

I should tell you too that I only buy "disposable" printers...really cheap ones that I get
rid of as soon as they become
undependable. This could, of course, be a contributing factor.

-BrianH.