RE: Upgrade to XyWin or Not?

> Ahh, then OS/2 gives you the best of both. As well as good connectivity
> software. I even run it (and XyDOS4 in a VDM) on my pathetic laptop--its
> memory deficiencies are clear when I'm opening lots of desktop windows,
> but Xy itself flies. And on my decent desktop(s)...

Until Warp 4 came out, I was a very enthusiastic user of Os/2 - in many
respects its design is far superior to anything from the Microsoft stable.
But I loathed Release 4 on sight - it was so different (much more like
Windows), I found it unbelievably hard to configure the networking side of
it, and I thought it slow on my new machine (Pentium Pro 200 with 64meg.
memory). I do a lot of software development in the 16-bit Windows world, and
to load such a session took 28 seconds the first time, and 19 on subsequent
occasions. In NT, the first session takes 7 seconds, subsequent sessions 2-3
seconds. Apart from which, I could no longer justify not being able to run
the later Microsoft software (e.g. Access 7/8, VB 32-bit).

Paul Thornett