Re: [Junk released by Allow List] Re: more on MS networking

J R FOX wrote:
I guess the telco companies must be much less
responsive about such things (infrastructure) in the
NYC area than they are here.

In spades!

As to the copper wiring portion, we have squirrels who
like to chew into the lines, and rain that sometimes
gets into the boxes out on the pole and shorts
something out. We call it to the Telco's attention,
it gets taken care of promptly.
Here, in our dreams. (Our squirrels prefer high-tension wires,
being reincarnated kamikaze pilots or something.) I STILL have
static on my lines. I can hear incoming calls, and the modem can
dial out, though at less than half the speed it was getting
before. The repair guy came today, looked at the master
connection and first jack off it in my flat, and said he couldn't
see anything wrong, though he too could hear the static on the
line. And of course the business downstairs, where the lines
first come in, in the cellar, wasn't open yet. So he couldn't get
in there. So we still don't know why I have static or where it's
coming from. "Maybe it's the weather," quoth the repair guy. (It
has been cold and wet, but what else do you expect in Dec. in the
NE?)
When I first moved in (24 years ago, and pre-PC), my lines were
crossed with someone else's for 2 or 3 weeks before they got the
mess straightened out (at that time it was AT&T).
A friend tried to get DSL. The "modem" (it's not one, really, but
everybody calls it that) simply would not connect. I was on the
phone with tech support, other people were on, they "checked"
their system a dozen times. No go. She finally gave up and
canceled it. One tech who came to the area told her she'd never
get it working, because she was too far from the nearest
switching station. But the people in sales didn't tell her that.
No way that stuff
could ever survive even a fraction of 100 years. So,
I'm left wondering just what you are getting for your
money ?
Precious little. And it's my inside lines that are nearly 100
years old. I'm a tenant, and my landlord is not about to pony up
for new telco wires.
My provider was PacBell, which became SBC, which is
now AT&T.
Plus ça change..., They broke up AT&T, but now we're pretty much back to AT&T and Verizon.

Sorry about the rant, but I am majorly miffed at Verizon.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscameg@xxxxxxxx