Re: Word 7 and WP7 conversion tool

Robert Holmgren  said
>But KEYVIEW doesn't natively handle XyWrite formats... So you have to
>do a two-stage conversion to reach, say, MSWord v7.0. Unless I'm missing
>something...
That's correct. You have to export in one of the formats XyWrite can handle,
and then complete the conversion with KEYview, or convert a document to one
of the formats XW can handle, and then import it.. It is a two-step process,
but the upside is that a batch of files can be done all at once.

>I was unaware that KEYVIEW is bundled with the Acrobat client (which is
>freeware, isn't it?
It's the other way around -- Acrobat Reader, which is indeed freeware, comes
bundled with KEYview, which doesn't have the ability to read PDF files.

> I read somewhere that KEYVIEW does faxes
>too, which must mean that it has some sort of OCR capability.
That hadn't occurred to me. I've misplaced the manual, but I looked at the
KV help file just now, and all I learned is that it will read and convert
DCR and TIFF documents. As far as I know that's the limit of what it does in
the fax department. If it has a send-receive capability, I haven't
discovered it. The question was not one I explored because I haven't tried
out the fax capability in XW4WIN--I use a standalone fax machine most of the
time.

I never touted the program as a panacea, only as the first solution I've
found to one of the failings of XW4, Win or DOS. Do you know of any other
way to do it -- except of to have the files saved at the source as a format
XW can handle? Some list subscribers say they've had trouble getting
collaborators or clients to do that.

Lee Hickling