Re: Voice Recognition

Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
>>And, of course, VR is enormously useful to the poor folks with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and the like.<<
My only experience with voice recognition software is with my son, who,
when he was learning to write, had problems with the mechanics of
holding a pencil. Once we (mainly one teacher) realized what was going
on, we tried out voice recognition software (while also getting him to
learn to type) so that he could get his writing assignments done. I
tried it out at the same time and found it more than a little
frustrating, but for my son it was a huge improvement over writing with
a pencil. Eventually typing took over, but a tough year would have been
tougher without the software.
I recently suggested to a freelance writer friend who has Parkinson's
and wants to continue working that he try it out, in case it might help
(his speech is still pretty well controlled) -- It has its uses, and
I'll stick with my keyboard for most things.

Paul Lagasse