Re: XX-ratings

"OKAnnie: I am still perplexed. I thought that the discussion was
about the practical issue of how to download files [...]"

Nathan: Then I suggest that you review what I've posted, which in
no way concerns the practical issue of how to download files. You
overlaid the subject onto my comments on encoding, comments
written in the context of msgs posted as email to the list. (Now
I *am* repeating myself.) ... I had no reason to raise the
subject of ftp--and did not. I have no reason to pursue
it--except that it won't seem to go away. The subject did not and
does not engage my interest. It will only if files uploaded to
the server XXencoded or
XXbug'd cease to be available as well zipped or UUencoded.

"The least satisfactory is UU-encoding, which often corrupts in
transit over multiple platforms."

My experience totally contradicts your persistent denunciation of
UUencoding.

"2. Text files: can be ordered directly by email."

I note this only because you've now introduced this topic too: I
get only server-generated text files from
lstsrv@xxxxxxxx since the single human-uploaded one I
got many moons ago contained a control char that crashed my
online software (I've mentioned that the same occurs when email
posted to the list contains a 1Ah). I deeply appreciate your
efforts to organize and maintain the list and can understand why
you declined to reply to my private email notifying you at the
time. Consequently, I avoid "ascii" files at the site and am not
requesting a remedy, just noting to others who would upload files
to the server that--if pure is understood to mean ascii >31 and
<128--an ascii 26 compromises a xyWrite file's purity. Word
processor eof probs are so widespread when crossing platforms
that stripping utilities are abundant where dos utilities are
found online. ...

By all means, Nathan, feel free to call me Annie. The ok is not
honorifical. okAnnie is my email address--a ploy to avoid being
AnnieF3541--not my name.
   --A

========================== annie fisher  nyc