Upgrading Windows 2000

After many happy years together it appears the time has come to upgrade
from Windows 2000 and I am wondering whether to move to XP or all the
way to Windows 7. I am running a 2007 vintage AMD motherboard which
will not be changing (its part of a virtually silent PC) and my main
interest is stability. I am word processing (using NB exclusively now),
sending emails and using the internet -- nothing very strenuous. My
inclination is to switch to XP which will, I am sure, support all my
hardware and software but are there any compelling arguments for buying
Windows 7 instead?

Any views welcome

Paul Breeze