Re: manually loading/stopping processes

Reply to note from flash  Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:42:51
+0200

> I've found that I can free up some memory by manually stopping
> processes I do not need or only very seldom need (math &
> programming, sorting, hyphenation, printing). Is there a way to
> stop them from loading (and to manually start them if and when
> I need them)?

I don't know of any way to stop them from loading, but you can try to
unload them in STARTUP.INT with the UNLOAD command (BC unload ##XC ,
where each "#" stands for the number or letter of the component in the
func ME Memory Usage menu; for example, BC unload 2567XC , to unload
the elements you mentioned). Do so at your peril, however, as the
command tends to make Xy3 unstable. In any event, there is no need to
reload the unloaded components manually; XyWrite does so automatically
as needed (although there is a LOAD option in the Mem. Usage menu).

All this reminds me of another compelling reason to uprgrade to 4: a
quantum leap forward in memory management and memory availability. In
Xy4 I can DeFine, say, a 2 Meg block of text and CoPy or MoVe it to
another window, no problem -- to cite one of many possible examples.
No matter how many components you unload, you'll never be able to do
that in 3.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx