Re: TAME [was: Hardware ID (was Completely Off-Topic)]

At 01:35 PM 10/3/2006, Si Wright wrote:
The fonts are still a deal-breaker for me. Here are some that aren't spaced out, as well as the Che fonts:
I understand, Jon. As I said, I bought a well-articulated courier
font (from Fontcraft) for the TAME console and run it in bold. It was
relatively cheap, but finding it was not. I had to buy and test
several fonts. Like you, I spend so much time staring at the screen,
I always put screen issues first, and most of my hardware/software
decisions begin there. But I must say, TAME, with some experimenting,
can produce clean, crisp text. You have to keep testing and trying.
[For the record, I'm on XPPro/SP2 with a Matrox Millennium P650 card.
I bought it for the anti-aliasing. Turns out, XP ClearType actually
does a better job on its own and I don't invoke the card's
anti-aliasing, but its basic performance is much better than the ATI
card that came with the machine. (MS says it plans to release five
new fonts -- this year, I think -- designed to take advantage of
ClearType's font rendering.) My monitor is a SONY SDM-HS75P (17-inch)
running on DVI-D. (I really like Sony's Xbrite glossy display;
renders text beautifully.]

I assume you've tried Harry's Numlock fix. Should work.
Also, holding Delete is slower--I suppose I'd need to change the Key Repeat Rate. Switching in and out of Insert mode sometimes hesitates for a few seconds instead of working instantly.

Here again is the fix for the delete key repeat:

/KeyGroupDef GroupName = Custom1
   RepeatChannel=BIOS RepeatRate=25
   IncludeScan=#53   ;** DEl   ...
Now take a look in Tame 5.1\Settings\Templates\UserOptions.Template.Tam. At the bottom of the file are more repeat-rate key settings. Try taking that whole section and putting in your Xywrite.app.tam file. Might take care of the insert key lag. If not, please drop David Thomas a quick note about it.
Michael, for me Screen Layout sometimes provides extra lines, sometimes scrunches letter together (though not in a useful way) and sometimes makes no change (all after going back into DOS and adding an "x" in the text where the cursor was).
This could be a WIN problem. Worth a look. Is your DPI setting (right
click black section of desktop->Properties->General tab) 120 or
higher? Lower it and see what happens. Mine's 120 and I have issues
with a number of programs, but I like the larger fonts. It does not
affect TAME on my system.
Text Aspect Ratio works on some of the useful fonts--moving letters slightly to resize the window, but still readable--and, unfortunately, has no effect on most others I tried.
Try manually resizing the window and watch what happens to the fonts
and the letting and kerning.
The Thesaurus/NumLock situation, which I hadn't correctly described before, is odd. It always pops up fine (I use CTRL-T), and on the first uses the cursor moves properly through the list of synonyms from the arrow keys. But eventually it doesn't, and either it only moves if NumLock is on or NumLock has to be toggled.
Okay. Put the numlock setting in Xywrite.app.tam first, then use the
number pad keys to manipulate the thesaurus. I don't like that
thesaurus, but got in the habit of invoking it. I use two desk
thesauri, but still reflexively call up the electronic edition.
Robert, I'm sure, has offered an electronic alternative. Anyway, the
number keypad is the control.
For instance: After having it work correctly for a while now, I CLIPped this email text and pasted it into my Yahoo mail window. Had to toggle NumLock when I returned to XyWrite.
I've stuck with U2's CLIP instead of using the WIN clipboard in TAME.
No good technical reason, just wanted to keep the same setup. Works
fine now [Let us know if the numlock setting solves the CLIP
problem], which is ironic, because that issue caused me to give up
TAME 4.x and stay much too long with two W98 machines that prevented
me from using some software I really needed. And that's the bottom
line to all this: TAME allowed me to move to XP. Now just when we get
the thing working, along comes Vista.
PS: Last week I wrote to Mark Russinovich, a Technical Fellow in the
Platform and Services Division at Microsoft. Mark is known widely as
the author of the Sysinternals collection of free utilities,
wonderful stuff. I asked him if he -- or anyone he knew -- was
planning to write a utility to allow 16-bit programs to work in Vista
(I did not distinguish between 32 and 64-bit versions). Alas, he said, no.
Michael Norman