Re: simple calendar question

Reply to note from Bill Troop  Wed, 25 Jul 2007
17:39:30 +0100

> I would like some simple calendar functionality without using
> some other program - - so I wonder for a start, is there a way
> to save as text the calenders that you generate with
> "cal" ?

Another U2 routine that you might find useful is CHRONTEMP. Short
for Chronology Template, it generates an editable calendar file
using your specified Start and End dates. For example,
CHRONTEMP 9/1/2007-5/31/2008 creates a template for the
coming calendar year. One interesting feature of this routine is
that the Start and End dates can be arbitrary; they need not
correspond to the first or last day of any month or year.
Additional info. at HELP CHRONTEMP.

A helpful complement to the various calendar frames is
HOLIDAYS yyyy, which lists U.S. holidays and observances
for the specified year (default=current year). I've striven for
historical accuracy (but make no guarantees). It's interesting, for
example, to watch the list grow over time; compare, e.g., 1776 with
1860 with 1920 with 1945 with 2007. Of course, the routine is also
handy when you want to know when a particular holiday falls in a
future year. (There is a separate routine, BTW, to do this for
Easter, using Oudin's algorithm.)

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx