Diacritics: advice needed

Though I wrote a few days ago boasting (at least, I'm afraid it may have sounded
like that) that I never use the "floating" diacritics and so haven't had the
problems that some other people have, I've just run into one, and I discover
that I don't know how to use them.

In XyWin 4.12J, I want to print a Czech name, "Lipovsek", with the v-shaped
diacritic (which I was taught to call "hacek" but which the XyWrite
character-set list calls "caron") over the "s". I've input ASCII 349 described
in the character set as "s caron", but neither my printer's Windows driver (HP
5L) nor my alternative driver (Zenographics SuperPrint 3.11) will print that
character -- I get the default "dummy" character instead.

There's also a "Caron accent" listed at ASCII 329, and "caron accent lower" at
ASCII 731 and ASCII 759, but I don't know how to insert these as "dead-key"
accents over a letter which is separately input. I'm sure it's simple once you
know how -- most things in XyW tend to be. Can someone advise me?

Thanks.

Eric Van Tassel