Re: DOS v Win encoding

Bill,
My previous message could be misinterpreted. It was written very quickly and so it wasn't explanatory enough. Ansified XyWrite reads and writes ANSI CP1252 files by default. It's like standard XyWrite but it uses the typical Notepad (or other text editors) format. So it's necessary to use xy2ansi and ansi2xy utilities to convert from/to standard XyWrite files. As far as I know, only Robert Holmgren and me are at present using this customized XyWrite reencarnation. It's useful for me because I am continuously writing files for Ventura Publisher and I need files written in ANSI encoding. Xywwweb stores the required materials and information you need if you want to improve your current XyWrite install (See "ANSI Character Manipulation"). It's possible to use standard and ansified XyWrite at the same time. For this purpose, you only need different .lnk or .pif files because it's necessary to load different .int files (with different settings.dfl, of course). The ansified .int file loads a different settings.dfl, keyboard and accent table. Obviously, you also need to replace the screen font. Fonts for full screen mode are available in Xywwweb and I posted windowed mode fonts to the list (search "ansified XyWrite") in the archives. It's managed via Windows screen properties (font). To print, you need a specific printer file. In my case, I am using a postscript printer file developed by Robert Holmgren and I have a beautiful preview under Ghostscript (see "Printing" area at Xywwweb). Anyhow, my printing needs are mainly managed directly in Ventura.
You can get the best how-to if you use the XySearch engine.
I hope this helps.
Manuel Castelao