Re: DOS v Win encoding/MSW Paranoia

Many thanks for this - - I will investigate.
Another question. I am on Vista SP1. Will installing Office 2003 do something to wreck my computer? Or will it execute its programs when asked, then stop, and get out of the way when closed. What I'm asking is if there is something it just 'does' to a computer . . . . I _do_ need to have at least MSW on hand to do the occasional edit for others, for example my _completely_ computer-illiterate wife who has things typed for her in MSW format which then need to be transmitted on to publishing people who expect that format.
I THOUGHT Google Docs would solve all my problems, but lovely as it
is, it doesn't honour pre-existing tabs . . . . and that's for the
moment a deal-breaker.