Linux

For those of you considering Linux: Get a package deal! Go with a distribution that has a good package management system, so that you don't have to worry about the details of installing and setting up your hardware. I've heard that RedHat Linux is very satisfactory in this regard. Go to Borders, or go to www.lsl.com,. and buy the $50 boxed set. It'll save you hours and hours and evenings and evenings. . . . (I've been using Debian Linux for nearly three years, also available at www.lsl.com. It has a package management system that is every bit the equal of Red Hat's ― some, of course, would say it's better. I've been pretty happy with it. Those two distributions seem to be the most popular in America. SuSE is also widely used.) ― But if you're going to try Linux, be prepared to spend either (1) a lot of time reading scattered online documentation, and/or (2) a lot of money on books (publishing books with O'Reilly is how free software programmers seem to make a living).

S.H.
sah@xxxxxxxx