Re: do-be-do-be-do

Reply to note from "Tim Baehr" Thu, 26 Jun 97
16:55:28 +0000

-> You can get a cleaner start with do/nv/x/z, but that kinda
-> defeats the quickness; I suppose you could put that on a key
-> with a BC function call.

DO/NV/X/Z is such an eyesore, and it eats up CMline real estate. It's
easily cleaned up with, e.g., the following DOSkey routine:

{{5DOSkey}} Launch DOS command or program from CMline
{2}DX BX dos/nv/x/z /c Q2{2}

(where DX, BX and Q2 are functions, <> are guillemets and {2} is the
Ascii- 2 reverse-video smiley face).

To use it, MErge DOSkey into your U2 file and reLOAD the file, then
assign a key as follows:

nn=NOXHJM(,2,.,D,O,S,k,e,y,)

In the alternative, LDPM the code (what's between the Ascii-2's) to a
key.

Now the native DOS command can be launched directly from the CMline via
the dedicated key. I map it to F8 -- across the Bering Strait from F9
-- and put it to constant use.

DOS /C is preferable to DO, more versatile. DOS /C will run built-in
DOS commands, DO won't. DOS /C supports output redirection, e.g. ...

 DOS /C DIR D:\*.* -P > D:\DIR.TXT)

.. DO doesn't. I never saw the point of the DO-DOS distinction. A
single command should DO it all.

A useful variation on this theme is a routine called PULL (in
SmartSet). It reroutes DOS output to a XyWrite Untitled screen. The
OS/2 analog, called P2, is bundled with Robert H.'s Xy-OS/2 Shell.

Regards,
Carl Distefano