Re: `power' v wp xyW (long!)

On Sun, 11 Jun 1995, David Firestone wrote:
>  > Actually, Annie, you might be surprised how many journalists who know what
> they're doing and do have a choice still insist on XyWrite. It doesn't get
> in my way when I'm writing a story, but it has all the bells and whistles I
> need. Obviously it has its flaws (don't get me started), but not everyone
> just buys it by rote. If I had my druthers, I'd stay with
Xy/Dos forever. But I needed to move into the Windows
environment, and I didn't hear much good about XyWin. And
I was frustrated that XyDos 4X has not been adequately supported;
I didn't want to go through that again.

Other word processors have caught up, in many respects. WP/Win
doesn't get in my way, either. I write on a screen completely
bare of prompts, icons, menus. I've modified the keybord to
resemble my highly customized
XyWrite keyboard. Macros are much easier to do on the fly. And
it integrates smoothly with the Windows programs I need to use.

Every time I go into a big press room in Washington, I see fewer
and fewer laptops running XyWRite. That suggests to me that
XyWrite is slipping with its core market.

Alas, I had hoped WP would excel in tech support. That'[s been a
disappointment. They ARE available, and do return calls, but
their technical expertise is definately lacking. TTG's techies
are harder than heck to reach, but they seem to know their
business.