Re: a basic XY III+ glitch?

Dear Lynn,
Minus the carriage returns, I had similar things happen to me around 2003 when my old PC was falling apart. In my case, it was a hard drive or operating system problem rather than a XyWrite III problem, except insofar as XyWrite has that habit of creating overflow files while you're working on long texts--that's a huge window of vulnerability in the way XyWrite saves and writes data. Basically, the overflows were not attaching themselves properly back to the working file; either they were getting big enough to stall the system, or other (unrelated) files were being tacked onto the working file, creating monsters like the one you encountered when you looked at your directory.
A few of my files were permanently corrupted in this manner. Then I got
rid of that machine, and things returned to normal with XyWrite on the new
one.
So my recommendation would be to keep backing up, and if this happens to
you again, look at a new computer or new hard drive.

Cheers,
Carlo

Carlo Caballero

Associate Professor & Erma Mantey Faculty Fellow
University of Colorado
College of Music, 301 UCB
18th & Euclid
Boulder CO 80309-0301