Re: a basic XY III+ glitch?

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Carl Distefano mailto:cld@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Is it really all carriage returns at the end of the file? If so, then some kind of keyboard malfunction sounds likely. If not, then it's possible that your copy of EDITOR.EXE has become corrupted, and you should check the file size (of EDITOR.EXE) against the file size of a known good copy of your version of Editor. These are, of course, only two of many possibilities. If you quit and restart XyWrite, does the problem recur? Carl Distefano mailto:cld@xxxxxxxx

I've made it impossible diagnose the problem definitively by acting too quickly: After restoring the original file from back up, I erased the file with the carriage returns - a second step I now wish I hadn't taken. (This is what comes of multi-tasking!)

But I may be able to provide enough information for a provisional diagnosis.

Yes, the original file was all carriage returns at the end of the file.

After I hit F5 ST when the sudden implosion of carriage returns shimmied onto the screen, Xywrite told me to do nothing while it created a temporary directory. I later checked the temporary directory and sure enough, there were several new tmp. files, one for each time I had closed and then opened the original. These temp. files differed in one respect from the screwed-up original: Scrolling all the way to the bottom, in the tmp files, I saw the carriage returns didn't go all the way to the bottom. Underneath them was a line of hieroglyphics. I realized this must be the text that no longer appeared onscreen in the original file. Had I known to do TYPE filename|MORE at the DOS prompt, I might have found this to be the missing text.

Instead, I went into Acronis, restored the text, and then (foolishly) erased the temporary files.

I'm very much inclined to think this was a keyboard malfunction.
My EDITOR EXE file size doesn't look different to me, but I have no known good copy to compare it to. It's XY III + version 3.57.

Lynn