Re: Windoze 95 GIVES YOU CANCER

** Reply to note from "Sherry"  Sun, 27 Oct 1996 11:49:24 +0000

> Now can anyone tell me how to avoid win95 memory leaks that
> keeps giving me less and less available mem for my xy4 for dos?

If we're talking about overall CPU usage (and not just the amount
of DOS memory which XyWrite shows as available), then I think this
is a XyWrite problem rather than an OS (e.g. memory leak) issue. Xy4 and
XyWin both seem to try to grab all uncommitted memory. And the OS's are
doing what they're designed to do, which is to give when they get a request
for more. If OmniPro or Photoshop were making similar requests, we'd be
pleased that the OS's are savvy enough to meet their demands and yet keep
on multitasking. OS/2 will even turn over empty disk space as temporary
memory area, if the system runs out of RAM and yet programs continue to
demand more. My suspicion is that Xy4/XyWin are misbehaving, nonstandard
programs that need to be disciplined -- urgently! This is not a small bug.
It causes serious collateral problems. XyWin has not been upgraded (bug
fixed -- and my, such bugs!) since late 1994. Xy4 is not much newer.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx