Re: Describe vs XyWrite

>I agree about speed not being the only issue. But one thing that
has >puzzled me now that I have experience of several 32 bit
OS/2 word >processors is the loss of speed. Moving to this
higher level of operating

  Well, of course, unless they are willing to spend the time to
code their programs in assembler, as is XY (at least III was and
TTG says most of IV is), they will never match it for speed.

>does not appear to bring speed benefits. Maybe the apps need to
be more >carefully written, I don't know. Despite Describe being
described as fast I >was shocked the first time I used it. It is
noticeably slower than XyWrite >for Windows for keyboard input
in graphics mode. But I guess you get used >to it. When I think
back a few years, I remember being shocked at how slow >XyWin
was compared to III+, and how slow OS/2 was compared to DesqView.
The

   OS/2 slower than Desqview? I went from DQ to OS/2 (with a
386dx33 and mathco and 8megs of RAM) but didn't think it slower,
except in boot time.
Perhaps you aren't quite configured right -- make sure you've
given it a minimum swap space of 20 meg, for one, even if you've
got 16 megs of RAM.
Or it could also be a graphic card bottleneck, since OS/2 is so
much more graphically oriented than DQ.

-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
seaverh@xxxxxxxx harmon@xxxxxxxx

We have found the Fountain of Youth in Asia!