Re: running Xy on a Mac or on a Windows 7 PC

Raphael,

Clearly, you have more than one interested listener.

I recently reinstalled Windows XP on a rebuilt machine -- new hard drive, motherboard, processor, etc -- in the hopes of avoiding, or at least postponing this decision. For reasons still unclear, the rebuilt machine is experiencing all sorts of problems; as a result, I'm typing this message on a  borrowed Mac while waiting for the tech guy to treat my ailing desk top.

Even he restores it to health, I need a back up computer.

This loaner is my first experience with a Mac, and like everyone (or almost everyone) I'm impressed. I've done nothing on it but take notes into a text file and go online, but the keyboard is crisp and well designed, and ergonomically sensible (something I didn't expect on a laptop). And visually, this computer is a pleasure. The screen is smaller than the one I'm used to --, yet there's no website that doesn't look better than it does on my PC.

If I can run XYwrite III+ on a Mac, I will definitely consider getting one.

One key question: Can you get Xy on full screen on a Mac? And another: Does Mac present the MS problem, i.e., with every new iteration, legacy programs fall by the wayside?  Are you using the most recent -- or at least a fairly recent -- OS on your Mac?

I am also interested in the Windows 7 situation because I know I won't be able to keep XP forever.

Based on these links, which Avram kindly sent me off-list, it looks as if there are ways to get Dos programs to run full screen in Win 7. A couple of them involve disabling the video card. It's unclear how that affects non-Xywrite functions, though:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19411_102-348847.html; style="color:rgb(0, 0, 204)"http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19411_102-348847.html

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19411_102-348847.htmlhttp://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1441-63-full-screen-mode-programs; style="color:rgb(0, 0, 204)"http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1441-63-full-screen-mode-programs