Re: "Kerning?" (fwd)

** Reply to note from "..."  Thu, 20 Feb 1997 16:37:16 -0500 (EST)

I've don't doubt that he's right, as far as modern language goes. But
I infer that Mr. Weltz is not steeped in Dutch language. Neither am I, for
that matter; but I've translated a good bit of it, and read a lot (all
16th-19th). And until very recently (until there was an official arbiter like
Dick Weltz), people spelled things as best they could; and I imagine that
there was quite a gap between literati and compositors, too. I have been speaking
from the start about history and etymology and old Dutch scholarly traditions,
where I feel on firmer ground. As I write, the _Lijst van de Voornaamste
Aardrijkskundige Namen in den N-I Archipel_ (Weltevreden: Landsdrukkerij, 1913)
lies open to the Index p.343. There, sandwiched between w entries and z entries,
are a bunch of "ij" and y(diaeresis) entries, all jumbled together! Dig it:
ij alphabetized as y (_very_ common). In a government publication, no less.

This morning I received a msg from a frequent contributor to this list, who
wrote:
> "All along I thought that I was
> the only person reading the XyWrite list who had any knowledge of the obscure
> Dutch language. You are of course right about the ij/y(diaeresis) evidence from
> the nineteenth century. In my own work, I have been reading a fair amount of
> fourteenth and fifteenth century Dutch for a book I am writing on land
> drainage and its management in late-medieval Holland. In some of the
> archival pieces I have read, I've encountered some variations of ij,
> such as eij and ey in words rendered as mij or wij today."

The reason I used the example of "ice" is that it seems so incontrovertible.
Perhaps I didn't go into it enough to Anniehilate entirely this thread (so
helpfully & graciously fomented by her, with her nose for what *might* be
a fatal flaw). If you start at the start, namely Indo-European, ice is "ieg".
We know from its offspring (e.g. Icelandic "jokiell", snow mountain)
that ieg was a diphthong, probably pronounced ee-aye'gh (rhymes with free keg).
A cognate is "igloo" (actually, I see that my dictionary says that's an Inuit
word, but I'd wager they got it from the Danes in Greenland or somebody north).
Old Hollanders pronounced "ijs" as a diphthong, something like "eye-aye-ss"
(whereas today it's just "ice"). The letter Y is not normally a diphthong; but
when it was, as in the old pronunciation of ijs, they sometimes used y(diaeresis)
to indicate it. I've seen it often in old books. The river Yser is a precise,
linguistically consistent extenuation of this, the Icy River. So is Ice
Maiden Ysolde.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx