Forwarded message:
 From: DickWeltz@xxxxxxxx
 Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:39:47 -0500 (EST)

 As I said, not in the NORMAL orthography of any MODERN language. There were
 characters in Old English and Middle English, etc. too, that are no longer
 used; and they certainly had no place in the limited ASCII character set.

 The lowercase y-dieresis, incidentally *is* an ASCII character and was part
 of the "upper ASCII" set introduced with production of the first IBM PC's.

 OTOH, I do not know Mr. Holmgren and have no wish to argue with him. One of
 the annoying things about the Internet is that everybody wants to claim to
 know more than the experts, and you can't ever say anything without having
 people come out of all the world's woodwork to argue about it. Me, I'd rather
 spend my time getting paid for my knowledge than debating it.

 For your consideration, therefore:

 ====================================
 Quoted from THE AGE OF UNREASON by Kurt Andersen,
 "The New Yorker," edition of February 3, 1997
 ====================================

 "This laissez-faire ultra-populism finds its perfect medium in
 the Internet. Not only is every citizen entitled to his or her
 opinion but he or she is entitled to deliver instantaeously,
 studded with chunks of fake information, to the whole world. With
 a computer and a phone line, anyone can become his own
 publisher/commentator/reporter/anchor, dispatching to everyone
 everywhere credible-looking opinions, facts, and 'facts' via the
 Internet."

 I decline to participate. -- Dick