Re: XyWin and Win2K paths

Peter Evans wrote:

> I'm new to Win2K. The only Xy I use is XyWin (go ahead, laugh) -- and as
> far as I can recall XyWin is the only Win 3.1 program I'm running. The
> first line of XWSTART.INT is
>
> default dr=

This instruction is for the "spilldrive" -- where .TMP files will be
written. It may have some additional relevance that I have for the moment
forgotten. My insight into anything XyWin-specific is going to be
exceedingly limited, though.

> Quasi-appendix:
>
> Just out of interest, I tried something I'd never done before: adding
> the XyWin subdirectory to the path within Take Command (a splendid
> console-mode program) and hitting XW on the command line in that. Xy
> appears to start up, but promptly objects:
>
>  Logon is not recognized.
>  Please log on.
>
> I've never consciously logged into Xy in my life, but a peep into
> XYSTART.INT reminds me that I should type
>
>  LOGIN PETER
>
> I do that and hit F9, but nothing happens: no error message, nothing --
> though Xy (or the part of it that has loaded) doesn't hang (I can hit F5
> quit F9 and get out).

This whole Login business has been discussed here in depth, not long ago.
(I saved a few messages, but have limited recall about this without going
over them, as this is not a problem I have tripped over myself.)

As to the rest, I have 4DOS, 4OS2, Take Command for OS/2, and whatever the
Windows counterparts are for the last two, although the Win versions were
never installed. I just ran Xy4DOS under 4OS2 and under Take Command for
OS/2 as a test, with no problem. The Win versions _could_ be different in
some way, or I suppose XyWin could be a special case, but this suggests to
me that this is not a situation where you can't make use of an alternate
command processor, if so desired.

Jordan