XyWin and Win2K paths

I've a feeling that the following question is both stupid and frequently
asked. Oh well, here goes anyway.

I'm new to Win2K. The only Xy I use is XyWin (go ahead, laugh) -- and as
far as I can recall XyWin is the only Win 3.1 program I'm running. The
first line of XWSTART.INT is

default dr=

followed by the actual path of XW.EXE (the spelling "dictionary" and
some programs). However, it doesn't seem to work: an attempt to do a
spelling check fails with a message that the spelling dictionary can't
be located, and in order to run a program I have to specify the entire
path on the command line.

What have I overlooked?

Quasi-appendix:

Just out of interest, I tried something I'd never done before: adding
the XyWin subdirectory to the path within Take Command (a splendid
console-mode program) and hitting XW on the command line in that. Xy
appears to start up, but promptly objects:

 Logon is not recognized.
 Please log on.

I've never consciously logged into Xy in my life, but a peep into
XYSTART.INT reminds me that I should type

 LOGIN PETER

I do that and hit F9, but nothing happens: no error message, nothing --
though Xy (or the part of it that has loaded) doesn't hang (I can hit F5
quit F9 and get out).

Peter "one of these days I'll toss all
this MS stuff in the trash and install
Linux -- but then I'll have even more