Re: Is XW a dog?

As for my disappointments with XW, I do not find speed a problem. It
is not particularly slower than XY in draft mode, and immensely faster
than any other Windows word processor I have tried in graphics mode.
I am very pleased with the fact that I can use the same highly
customized keyboard and most of the macros I have written identically
in both, and that documents are usable in both.

I have one serious dissatisfaction. I work in draft mode except just
before printing, and find the screen font unpleasant to work with.
That may not seem like a big deal, but in practice it is a major
deterrent. I almost always use XY for input, and edit in XW only when
necessary. That is a big pain in the neck. I tried Doug Beeson's
recent "breakthrough" method of changing the draft screen font using
WOAFON14.ZIP, but on my machine all those fonts make the screen type
smaller, not larger, so I am stuck.

Unfortunately the people at TG do not acknowledge how many users this
weakness deters, despite the many complaints on this list. It will of
course not bother people who do all their work in graphics mode, but
many of us are not interested in doing that.

--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science