Re: A major(?) discovery for XyWriters

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Wed, 03 Sep 2014
13:55:14 -0400

Harry:

> Just use this:
>
> dos/nv/x/z /c cmd.exe /c start {your filespec here}

I think you need to drop "START " from your DOS command.

I've installed AutoHotKey and have done some very preliminary testing
in Xy4. Attached are two U2 frames: AHK and AHKX, along the lines I
described in my earlier reply. AHK runs an .ahk script specified as a
CMline argument (AHK my_script); or the file open in the
current xyWrite window, with or without the .ahk extension
(AHK); or DeFined text constituting a valid AHK script
(AHK). The companion frame, AHKX, runs an AHK script saved in
Save/Get 50.

I've only tested these frames using the tutorial script that opens --
or switches to, if already open -- a Notepad Untitled screen:

;start
IfWinExist Untitled - Notepad
{
  WinActivate
}
else
{
  Run Notepad.exe
  WinWait Untitled - Notepad
  WinActivate
}
;end

If you save the above as TEST.AHK, you can run it with
AHK TEST, with AHK if TEST.AHK is open in the
current XyWrite window, or with AHK with the script DeFined.
You can also run it as a pure XPL routine like this (in pseudo-code):

JM 2.ahkxQ2

The problem with using START in the XyWrite DOS command is that it
opens a new Windows AutoHotKey process every time AND this process
**stays open even after the script terminates!** Not only does it hog
memory if you repeatedly launch scripts from Xy, but it also (in my
limited experience) can freeze XyWrite until the STARTed process is
killed manually. Dropping START (as I've done in the attached frames)
seems to eliminate the problem, at least with the sample script above.
The AHK process terminates when the script ends.

Lots of possibilities here. Post your Clipboard script, please.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx