Re: OFF TOPICS: Printing windows help file

ca wrote:

> Date sent:       Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:17:44 -0800
> Send reply to:     xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From:          jr_fox@xxxxxxxxxxx
> To:           xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject:        Re: OFF TOPICS: Printing windows help file
>
> News about your bookmark ?
>
> > jr_fox wrote:
> >
> > I know I had bookmarked something like this, shareware or a
> > commercial program with a demo version. It was supposed to offer
> > great versatility in controlling *any* printing from WIN, such as
> > demarcating just a selected portion of webpage(s) for sending to
> > the printer. It could shrink the printed section to a desired
> > size, or give you multiple small (but still identifiable) page
> > images on a single page. It handled HTML and most likely the WIN
> > Help files.

Not yet, unfortunately. I need to do a better job of annotating the
things I bookmark, some of which are captured in great haste, with
intentions to revisit later. (I use a very good program for OS/2
called Web Organizer, which creates a hierarchichal tree-structured
master directory per one's own preferred design, for all ones
bookmarks. It goes as deep into sub-sub-categories as you care to go.
My bookmark collection is updated at least once a week, and presently
totals about 1.4M. in size. There must be equivalent programs
available for WIN.)

Anyway, seemingly the most likely candidate right now was something I
bookmarked called Win2Printer. But I never got to the point of filling
in the comment field, which I try to do whenever possible while the
recall of it is still fresh. Whether this was the one or not, I
probably saw it mentioned in a computer column or magazine article.
Even if that was the one, it won't do you any good. When I tried to
retrace my steps -- including some fresh searching via DOGPILE (my fave
meta-search engine) -- every single link for this item and the Co.
behind it was 404. Poof. Gone.

In case that was not the one, I will keep on looking, and let you know
if I find anything.

There was another un-annotated bookmark that could have been it, but
that Co. had a notice on its home page that they were developing a new
line of "web-oriented" products (whatever that means) and no longer
offered or supported their former desktop software products, which they
did not bother to identify. Some say the PC s/w market is OVER. I
fear this market paradigm is going to become more and more familiar, as
time goes on.

Jordan