Re: SmartWords, Dumb Question

Harry Binswanger wrote:

> I'm not an insider or connected with any company, but from my recollection,
> SmartWords is, in effect, XyWrite 5. Or would have been. It's a Windows, not
> DOS, product. Maybe Leslie, who has seen it, can tell us more.

Harry,

Well here goes: it's been > a year since I have seen Smart Words, but
the idea is that Smart Words contains what would have been Xy 5 as its
word processing engine. Ken uses it, as he said in his "comeback"
message (and we in New York are sorry he didn't become the Orioles' GM,
because Steinbrenner would have taken him to the cleaners), as the
engine for his legal software. It's a genuine 32-bit app. It works under
Win 9x and NT.

It has enhanced web features that allow you to grab useful data files
from the Web and patch them into your Smartwords doc. The "SS"/"US"
features are expanded greatly, which Ken uses to patch in boilerplate
docs. for the legal stuff. The filters, which we did not see, are
supposed to be far superior to the Word for Word filters supplied with
prior Xy versions and/or formerly available as a standalone program.

Way I see it, for the offered price, what have you to lose?

--
Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press