Re: XyWrite in Ubuntu Linux, continued

peregrine@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Peregrine wrote:
>>As I read through the XYWWWEB documentation, I see occasional
>>references to functions that work in Win 3.x or OS/2 but don't work
>>in later Windows variants.

Huh? Such as? I use U2 all the time (and have been kicking myself for
not using it sooner) under W95, 98, 98SE, and under W2K at the office.
There WERE one or two routines that needed XyShell, and no one could
get that to work under Win 9x, but I think Robert ported all of them
to run without XyShell.

>>those who lament the absence of DOS under XP and Vista,<<

Real DOS doesn't exist in W2K or XP, but both have (and apparently
even Vista has) a Virtual DOS Machine (VDM). The only problem with it
is that when running in windowed, as opposed to full screen mode, Xy
(and indeed any DOS app, even the command line console) can suffer
from slow and jerky keyboard-screen synchronization.

I'm sure nobody is chomping at the bit as hard as I am, but here's my first shot at describing how to do this: http://peregrineproject.com/balderdash/xyhow2.html You could do it easily if you had Ubuntu installed on a computer connected to the internet. Otherwise, it will take a little more effort for me to explain details. But I will get to that, especially if I know somebody wants it.
Many. many thanks, Jeff. Will look at this directly. By the bye, I was playing around in my Xandros installation (finally got the dialup Internet connection working, but cannot make Linux Tbird save copies on my Windows e:\email\eskimo directory, though it knows it's there). And I discovered that my trial copy of Crossover Office was still good. So I tried running the setup.exe file on that copy of the original Xy install floppies. No luck. But it now occurs to me (duh!) that it was probably looking for real floppies, not folders on f: named disk1, disk2, etc. -- Patricia M. Godfrey PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx