Re: Countchars

Reply to message from Wolfgang Bechstein , Sat,
12 Feb 2005 10:02:23 +1100

≪is a witty apercu turned into bloodless bland prose.≫

Yes, but this was an encyclopedia article. Is that the place for witty
aperçus? (That cedilla probably won't make it through cyberspace, but my
father's shade would disown me if I left it off.) And I do worry about
selective consideration. Similar comments about other ethnic groups would
be roundly--and rightly--condemned as prejudiced. But it's open season on
Celts? The head proofreader on that project, who took instant (and valid)
exception to a statement about "the Jews," could not see why a statement
that the Dublin Pale had been created to protect the English "settlers
from the barbarous Irish" got my Irish up.

Patricia M. Godfrey
PMGodfrey@xxxxxxxx