RE: Xy3+ on NT 4

Generally the setup file should be run using "Start" - "Run" rather than
from within a DOS window (termed a "Command Prompt" in NT4). If you use
other DOS programs you might want to make a DOS directory (NT4 does not set
one up, so you would have to make one) and put your XyWrite directory under
it, but I shouldn't think this is really necessary; you can use the default
directory that Setup suggests.

Alternatively, XY3+ is small enough that you should be able to copy the
existing program files onto diskette and then onto the new computer,
provided you use the same directory names you are using under Win3.1
(including for temp files, etc.).

What you will have to do under NT is to create a new PIF file. The easiest
way to do this is to create a new Shortcut on the Desktop after you have
installed the program, following the instructions as to where to find
editor.exe. After that is completed, right-click on the shortcut icon, go
to the Program tab, and left-click on the Windows NT button. Make sure that
the autoexec file there identified (use the one that is given or you can
make a new autoexec file) has the XyWrite path in it; otherwise you will
have problems with spellchecking and possibly other functions. Other
adjustments, such as the icon displayed by the shortcut and the name you
want displayed with it, can be made by changing the Properties settings.

Other writers have recently addressed problems of printing to network
printers under DOS versions of XyWrite, but these may not be an issue for
you, or other issues may arise. But generally DOS versions of XyWrite work
acceptably under NT, apparently better than Win ME.

Regards,

Paul Ambos
pambos@xxxxxxxx