Re: F5--and everything went black...

Reply to note from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  Mon,
25 Jun 2007 19:45:56 -0400

> In DOS and W9x, if a batch file calls an application, the
> application opens and STAYS open until it is closed by its own
> internal close command (in Xy, Quit) Not so in W2K/XP (and, I'm
> assuming, NT): a batch file runs and that's it. IF it calls an
> app, the app opens and closes again, instanter.

Not true. I've always launched XyWrite from a BATch file, under NT
and now under XP, and it does no such thing. And no PAUSE kludge
required -- the last command in my BATch file is Editor.exe.
There's got to be something wrong somewhere in your system -- your
BATch file, your PIF settings, CONFIG.NT,... something.

> Note that in W9x, there's a checkbox on the Program tab of the
> pif properties window giving one the choice to "close on exit"
> or not. In W2K and XP, that checkbox occurs on the properties
> window of a shortcut to an EXECUTABLE (e.g., editor.exe) but
> NOT to that of a batch file.

Again not true, IME. If I set up my BATch file as a command.com
shortcut (Cmd: %systemroot%\system32\command.com /c f:\xy4\xy4.bat),
the checkbox is there.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx