Re: Upgrade to XyWin or Not? -Reply

I run both XW4WIN and XW4DOS (starting it in Windows 3.1), and what Richard
Minutillo wrote, concerning XW4WIN's behavior under Windows puzzled me.

>And all I meant by my previous comments about the program not being
>entirely comfortable with the Windows environment is that it breaks a
>lot of conventions (like not being able to restore the minimized icon
>with a double click) and it seems to hog the CPU utilization meters I
>have used (at least in WIN95.) While the 100% utilization reports may be
>an illusion, they do point to something unorthodox going on under the
>covers.

I couldn't remember ever having such problems, so I minimized Eudora,
started the SmartDrive monitor to get reports on utilization, started
XY4WIN, opened a file and did some pointless stuff to it. The monitor
reported 76 percent utilization. I minimized XyWrite, then doubleclicked on
the icon and back it came.

Mr. Minutillo also said
> I 'd suggest that it's the advantages of Windows that count:
>thinks like the huge variety of fonts (and Adobe Type Manager) and the
>Windows clipboard for moving data around, and if you're really into
>old-style automation, DDE. I assume that you make use of the Windows
>environment for other programs; why else would you bother to run
>Windows?

Well ..... I can't speak for Phil, but the only reason some of us bother to
run Windows is that everyone has quit writing new versions for DOS. Probably
because I'm an incorrigibly linear thinker and a fast typist, I particularly
dislike graphic interfaces for word processing, spreadsheets and any other
program I can run faster with keystrokes than by pointing and clicking.

Lee Hickling