Re: XyWrite to Word

** Reply to message from "Marc"  on Fri, 24 Mar 2006
16:27:13 +1200

> What I'd like to know is can MS Word perform the
> simple "ca *.*" that a xy script can?

Yes.

> Just how long would it take anyone on this list to
> write a word script to open all files in a folder,
> change an existing string and count the number
> of changes made? XY about 5-10 minutes. MS Weird - ????

Well, as with anything:
If you write VBA macros all the time, and know the language
well, probably not long. Same with XPL. But I imagine that because the number
of "nouns and verbs" is so much greater in VBA, and the syntax so much more
exacting, it will likely take considerably more time, even if familiarity is
par. Hard to speculate what that means for "anyone on this list" -- fine VBA
programmers might be lurking, you never know.

But I received yesterday an Email from a list member, who (unless he wishes to
identify himself) shall remain anonymous -- an IBM professional from waaaay
back. He made a very insightful statement (I think) concerning XPL:

"Other prerequisites... for getting to grips with XPL... include a good
short-term between-the-ears memory and an aptitude for programming. If you
have neither, don't touch XPL, and if you have only one don't expect major
improvements in your productivity!"

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx