Re: Turning off read-only in XP

Harry wrote:
≪I recall Robert having once posted a standalone attribute-setting program that forced the required change. Does anyone know more about that, or this problem? ≫
Well, it wasn't attrib, but rather the archive bit (which can also be a
spanner in the works) that Robert discussed at some length on Feb 24
2004; but see the last paragraph, which mentions the possibility of also
removing attrib bit. Herewith the post:
that I
thought I would clarify XyWrite's "attitude" toward Directories with the
Archive bit set, and also post a definitive solution for Win32 users.
XyWrite has a XyBug when it comes to the Archive bit. Directories with the bit
*Set* can be read, i.e. a directory display can be generated. But there are
quirks. Suppose D:\TESTOO~1 is a directory with the Archive bit set.
Regardless of your current d:\path location, you canNOT get a directory display
by issuing these commands:
 DIR D:\TESTOO~1
 DIR D:\TESTOO~1\*.*
 DIR D:\TESTOO~1\{any_filemask}
Instead, you must locate *in* directory D:\TESTOO~1 by navigating to it; and
then you must issue a simple DIR command with *no* argument:
 DIR
That works.
I attach a ZIPfile that automates De-Archiving (unsetting the Archive bit) of *ALL* directories on the *current* drive. Once you unset the Archive bit, it stays un-set. I do not believe that this causes any problem for Win32, but I offer no guarantees. Run the command once against any *one* drive, from DOS.
As presently packaged, the commands do *nothing* -- they simply report the
current status of the attribute bits for all directories on the drive. To
activate De_archiving, you must MOVE the comment characters (::) from one line
to another, per instructions in the command file itself.

Following is the readme (DArchBit.TXT):

--------------------------

DArchBit for Win32 R.J.Holmgren 2/26/04
Remove Archive bit from all Directories (not Files) in current Drive

Note Well: YOU are entirely responsible for the consequences of
 running one of these commands. On my system, they work
 perfectly; but on your system... I don't know. I offer no
 guarantee.

Don't get confused!
 DArchBit.BAT is for Win95/98/ME
 DArchBit.CMD is for WinNT/2000/XP

By default, the BAT|CMD files are set up to DISPLAY ONLY the
 current Attribute setting of each directory in the current
 drive. Thus, the command is passive and informational only;
 it DOES nothing!

To actually remove the Archive bit, you must DELETE the comment
 "::" from the front of the indicated line in the file
 ("Activate next line to Remove Archive bit"), and ADD a
 comment "::" in front of the currently active line. Only
 ONE line should be active at any time.

There are also choices to Remove Hidden and Archive bits from all
 directories, and to Remove Read-Only, Hidden, System, and
 Archive bits from all directories.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx
≫
Unfortunately, this was from the set of files that were lost when my then hard drive shorted out; in reconstituting them, the ZIP file apparently got currupted. Anyone else have it?