Re: ?? MIGRATION TO XY4WINDOWS

Now I have bought a new notebook, with os vista preinstalled.
My old dos-XY-III-PLUS (bought a licence at the time) did run on the new laptop, but the speed is like the verry old days (20 or more years ago) on 8088 or an 286-machine.

Something's wrong, then. Patricia and Robert (regulars here) have reported good performance under Vista.

1-?
So I think I should migrate to an windows version of XY, or is there a way to speed up a dos-running program in vista?

Michael Norman recommends the latest NotaBene as in effect Xy for Windows. I haven't had good experiences with this version of NB. Your mileage may vary.

2-?
Where can a find a download  for the latest- or best- version of XY for windows.

The latest DOS version is 4.018.
http://vetusware.com/download/XyWrite%204.0/?id=3385; eudora="autourl">http://vetusware.com/download/XyWrite%204.0/?id=3385

3-?
Is it legal? Or just a little bit illegal? Or abondon-ware?

Close enough to legal (in my opinion). Abandon-ware.

4-?
Anny special tricks or so for the download and installation?

Make a directory, put the zipped file in it, unzip it. You should be good to go (except for customization). Once you get comfortable, add Xywwweb.u2 (indispensable plug-in).

If I recall correctly, some people had this installation issue: a conflict when CD drive was attached to the system. If necessary, disable it in BIOS setup for the installation.

5-?
Is there an difference between  running on a 32-bit-vista or an 64-bit-vista?

I doubt it, because on XP and Vista, Xy is running in a DOS-emulator (NTVDM) that comes with the OS.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx