Re: how to set pagefile system size and location

flash@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Yes, the HDs should be physically separate.
Well, I respectfully disagree. I first heard of this stunt from Robert
Holmgren (post of Dec. 2005), and he was talking about partitioning a
single (large) hard drive. Pagefile.sys (or win386.swp in 9x) is used
as a cache for stuff that should be in RAM, but for which there isn't
room. I think I read somewhere that Windows will use it, whether or
not it actually needs to. And after all, isn't XP limited to 2 G of
RAM? So that file is going to be read from and written to, a lot,
will-ye-nill-ye. If it's in an area all by itself (IIRC, Robert had
some tricks for forcing it to be located in certain areas of the hard
drive, even when it isn't on its own partition) will increase efficiency.
I hadn't even thought of 2 copies. Unless, of course, you were
multibooting multiple opsyses. I suspect even with two copies of the
same version, as Jordan does, you should have separate ones, invisible
to each other. Or perhaps not.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx