off topic: Grammer Question

Hello XYWriters

My mother is writing an English Grammer guide, targeting 10 - 15 year olds. It
was a request from a family member who felt that there was insufficient focus
placed on grammatical education.
The guide is a small (about 30 pages) condensed booklet that covers most of the
building blocks of English grammer.

However, in the course of writing it, we have a wee question regarding the
order of adjectives...
Consider the following sentence
"He knocked on the big green door"
while it is the same as "He knocked on the green big door", this is not the way
you would articulate it.
What gramatical rules govern the order of adjectives? Are there any?
(alphabetical?!?!) or is it basically a case of language knowledge? (if so, how
is it taught?)
Sorry for the off topic subject, but I'm very interested to hear your views.

If anyone is interested in 'proof-reading' it, I can arrange a copy to be
emailed to you.

Thanks in advance.

Marc